Friday, December 31, 2021

Buon Compleanno mio fratello

 Today is my older brother's birthday.

I took some time this morning to call him and wish him buon compleanno, happy birthday in Italian, as is my tradition. We got to speak for about ten to fifteen minutes unit he got another call. I think it was our mother calling my brother as I tried to call my parents house next and their line was busy. This is a good thing as people within families should talk to each other. Of course there are exceptions, though  the exceptions should not be used to explain the normal. 

On this day my brother turned 57 and yet while he knew what he was getting for his birthday there was a tiny note in his voice of child like excitement and enthusiasm for the reception of his gift. I'm glad that my brother has retained that aspect within his character that I saw and enjoyed when we were shorter. I may be off the mark on this point, but I recall my brother constantly building things such a models, Lego, Meccano and I'm still willing to say sorry that I broke a couple of his model cars by sending them down the staircase; oh and I never should have broken the walkie-talkie set we had or stopped in that puddle while we were on our bikes causing you get a wet foot. Though I also still laugh that the memory of my brother breaking a wall by going down the stairs fast and causing a mirror to fall off the wall and also break. 

The go-cart we shared was fun in so many places, the bow and arrow set was interesting to say the least, the string burns I got from the kite were not his fault as no-one can control the wind, looking after the rabbits and chickens was a joy under the rule of a job shared, also my brother was a better shot with the air-gun we walked around with. My brother saved me a few times physically, emotionally and from an educational perspective. I also recall my brother showing me calculus as he was learning it thus giving me a leg up in high school. 

I also feel that once or twice he took the fall for us both. The one thing I am sure of in my head is that he never threw me under the bus, as that saying goes. While our age difference is about one and one-half years my brother always lifted me up by placing me in his world as such he did not step down but had me step up. 

I love my brother and wish him all the best and want to say thank you. 
(Mio caro fratello io spero tutti bene per te e grazie)

No comments:

Post a Comment